Carter Express began in 1957 with the promise to be an ever-evolving company that adapts to the demands of the modern world. Why? Because we don’t want to get stuck in the past and are always looking for ways to improve our business. Today, it’s essential that we take a look at the trucking industry’s impact on the environment, including our own. Here is an overview of the importance of conserving fuel and reducing emissions plus the six need-to-know tips on sustainability behind the wheel.
The industry at-large
The trucking industry has done crucial work to ensure that environmental sustainability is at the core of our mission to connect America’s supply chain. Vehicles produce methane and nitrous oxide, both harmful to the environment. The emissions from new trucks have been dramatically reduced, more than 98%, over the past three years. In 2023, it would take 60 modern trucks to create the same nitrous oxide and soot emissions that just one truck in 1988 could create, according to the American Trucking Associations (ATA).
Changes we’ve made
Significant strides have been made in creating tech that reduces emissions and other pollutants, like diesel particulate matter. According to the ATA, filters have been invented that have reduced harmful emissions like these to almost unrealized levels, which is a huge step forward. An essential part of enhancing environmental sustainability in the trucking industry is the technology being used. The efficiency of engines is critical to a fleet’s operation, a driver’s safety, and the environment’s health. Carter Express has invested in high-quality Volvos and Freightliners, which we keep in tip-top shape to help do our part in fighting against environmental concerns!
Carter Express is proud of our work to implement measures that protect our environment. We were honored to receive the SmartWay Excellence Award, which honors the top shipping and logistics companies with superior environmental performance.
How you can make a difference
How can you join the movement to preserve our environment while you’re behind the wheel? Here are the top six ways that you can make a difference.
- Drive safely. This is the number one way to make your trips eco-friendlier. Aggressive driving wastes gas. Going easy on the gas pedal can lower your gas usage by 15 to 30%.
- Obey the speed limit. Every 5 mph above 50 mph adds up to $.18 per gallon of gas!
- Use cruise control to maintain a safe and eco-friendly speed. Just make sure the weather and road conditions are appropriate for cruise control!
- Avoid idling: Leaving your engine running when stopped emits unnecessary amounts of harmful pollutants. If you’re stopped, your engine should be too!
- Complete pre/post trip inspections: Mechanical issues can increase the emissions released by your truck. Completing these required inspections will save you from issues and help the environment!
- Check tire pressure: If your tires aren’t rolling efficiently, your engine is working harder, which means more emissions. Each day, low tire pressures result in over 4 million wasted gallons of gas.
Does your carrier have a commitment to innovation and improvement? If you want to join a more responsible and innovative company, connect with us today at Carter Express!